Thursday 2 September 2010

Tutorial & Sandwich for Cutting a Stamped / Printed Image or Photo Using Nestabilities Dies in a Bigshot Machine

This tutorial is for BigShot / Big Kick users and uses the multipurpose platform to cut using Spellbinders Nestabilities and Shapeabilities dies as a window.
You will need:

Big Shot / Big Kick Machine
Multipurpose Platform
2 Cutting Pads
Relevant make of die
Printed or Stamped image or a photo

I am using a printed image, I am not a huge stamper and like to use printed greetings and things from time to time


The sandwich is as follows (from bottom to top - as you would build it)

Multipurpose Platform open on TAB 2

Cuttin Mat

Image you want to cut facing UP

Die, with the blade / cutting area facing down centered over the image you want to cut


The cutting side of the die is the side with the raised area like in the photo below



Pop the second cutting mat on the top and whizz through the machine


Sandwich re-cap (starting from the bottom)

~ MP platform - TAB 2
~ Cutting Plate
~ Image, facing up
~ Die, cutting side down
~ Cutting Plate

This is now ready to go through your machine

Here is a little pic of my finished cut

3 comments:

Linda said...

Am I the only person whose Big Shot doesn't have 2 tabs? I only have one platform.....I have to shim it with chipboard....maybe I need to purchase another cutting pad, what do you think?

cathinka said...

Hello, craft fairy Lisa and Linda (above)
-No, you're not alone!! I only got one platform with my new Big Shot Express (still soooo new, am still jumping when it makes it's noise!)
and when I rang the people at Ellison U.K,(0844 499 8181) they said that the newer machines are supplied with the one mat because of technical improvements.
In order to cut wafer thin dies (eg nesties, quickutz etc) you have to get a "Wafer-Thin Die Adapter", and it has the sandwich printed and drawn on it like the big thick platform has. It goes (Bottom to Top)
-Essentials platform/Wafer-thin adapter/clear cutting mat/die/card/clear cutting mat.

It works fine.
I just need to get the mats for embossing, or find a tip, or keep experimenting.
I'm new to this wonderful "craftfairy" blog- THANKS, Lisa!- and haven't read many of your tips/tuts/hints yet, but I've become a 'follower' and am really enjoying all your kind effort put into this blog.
(Hope this long reply is ok?)
Cathy

Linda said...

thanks for the info!